You already know that a compelling subject line is essential for email marketing campaigns and newsletters, but what about your header? Your email header can be a powerful marketing tool—or it can prevent people from actually opening your emails.
The header is not only the first thing people see when they open your messages, it’s also what shows up in a preview pane. This little glimpse should inspire your subscribers to click and read right away, instead of saving it for later (and forgetting about it) or worse, deleting the email unread.
So, what goes into an effective email header?
- Your logo and tagline. Email marketing is all about branding, so make sure your logo and brand colors appear prominently in your header. People are used to clickable logos, so make sure yours links back to your website or landing page.
- A quick description of your business. Don’t just fill your header with your logo image. Use the space to give subscribers a brief reminder of what you do for them, in a sentence or a few short phrases.
- Social sharing tools. Your customers have friends with similar tastes, who are likely to be interested in the same products or services. Make it easy for them to share your content by integrating a social media share bar in your email header.
- Unsubscribe link. It may seem like a prominent unsubscribe link will encourage people to leave your list—but in fact, the opposite is true. Readers are less likely to unsubscribe when they know it’s easy to do so at any time. Without a permission reminder front-and-center, your email is more likely to be viewed as unwanted (and annoying) spam.
- One final tip for email headers: Make it just narrow enough so that a hint of your content peeks through in preview panes. When you’re viewing something online and there’s more content than what’s showing, it’s a natural reflex to click through or scroll down to read the rest.
Convert more subscribers into customers with a stunning email header
Informatix offers quality, custom email template designs that incorporate your company’s brand and encourage subscribers to take action. Contact us to learn more about our high-impact email marketing design services.