Facebook continues its reign as the undisputed king of social media. Here are just a few statistics for 2012 so far:
- 845 million active users
- 2.7 billion “likes”—every day
- 100 billion collective connections
- 250 million photos uploaded daily
- More than 50% of the population of North America is on Facebook
- A typical Facebook user spends 20 minutes on the site per visit
Since exploding into the world’s biggest social networking site, Facebook has become an ideal platform for all kinds of social and commercial groups. From knitting circles and book clubs to fan groups for multi-million-dollar companies, Facebook offers the opportunity to build a “community” around any goal or interest.
Among the hundreds of social networking sites online today, not one of them comes close to Facebook. With its total package of networking, social media, games, calendar functions, and dozens of other functional features, Facebook has taken the world by storm and transformed the way people use the Internet. Oh, and yes, it’s even affected search engine optimization strategies.